Sticky Gingerbread Puddings with Ginger Caramel Sauce
- 1 c self raising flour
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger, cinnamon and ground cloves
- 1/2 baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 75 g softened butter
- 1/2 c brown sugar
- 1 tbsp treacle or molasses
- 1 tsp fresh grated root ginger
- 3/4 c warm water
- 2 medium finely chopped cooking apples
- 1/2 c finely chopped crystallised ginger
Heat the oven to 180C and grease the large 8 hole muffin tin. Sift the dry ingredients into a bowl. Mix in the eggs, butter, sugar, teacle and fresh ginger. Gradually whisk in the water until you have a smooth mixture. Fold in the apple and crystallised ginger.
Spoon the mixture in the muffin tins and bake for about 35 mins or until they are springy to touch.
Ginger Caramel Sauce (Wicked, but delicious!)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 110 g butter
- 2 tbsp brandy
- 2 pieces of finely chopped crystallised ginger
Gently heat the butter and sugar unti the sugar has dissolved, add in the brandy and ginger. Serve over your puddings with a dollop of cream or icecream.
Rachel's top tip - Keep a bag of fresh root ginger in the freezer. It is much easier to grate when frozen.