Warm Barley and Roast Vegetable Salad
- 2 red onions
- 2 cups diced pumpkin, kumara and parsnip
- 2 cups of diced capiscums and courgettes
- 1 c pearl barley
- 3 cups stock
- 2 cups sliced spinach, silverbeet or rocket
- ½ c vinaigrette
Preheat the oven to 190C and bake the pumpkin, kumara and parsnip in a little oil for about 25 mins. Toss the capsicum and courgette in a little oil and bake until tender. While the vegetables are cooking rinse the barley and simmer in the stock until tender and most of the liquid is absorbed.
Toss everything together with the spinach and drizzle over the vinaigrette.
- 1.5 kg chicken pieces
- 2 cloves of garlic peeled and finely chopped
- 1 c natural low fat yoghurt
- 1 thumb size piece of fresh ginger grated or 1 tsp powdered ginger
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp dry mustard
- ¼ tsp chilli powder
Remove the skin from the chicken. Mix the garlic and spices together and combine with the yoghurt. Make some small cuts in the flesh of the chicken to allow it to absorb the flavours, and then cover it with the yoghurt spice mixture and cool in the fridge overnight.
Place the chicken on a wire rack in the roasting dish and bake at 200C for about 35 mins until golden. Serve with rice and a green salad.