Apricot Crunch Muffins
- ½ c chopped dried apricots
- ½ c water
- ½ c apricot jam
- Put these ingredients in a large pot and boil for five mins. Remove from heat and stir in
- 100g butter until it melts.
- Beat one egg and ½ c white sugar
- Then add ½ c milk and combine all the wet ingredients
- Add 2 cups flour
- 4 tsp baking powder and mix all ingredients until just combined.
Spoon into prepared muffin tins and sprinkle with raw sugar. Bake at 180C for 15-20 mins. Makes approx 12.
Beef and Golden Kumara Pies
- 1 onion
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 600 g casserole beef cut into small pieces
- ½ c red wine
- 1 ½ cup beef stock
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp cornflour mixed with water (to thicken if needed) salt and pepper to season
- 1 pkt flakey pastry
- 2-3 Golden kumara
- ½ c grated cheese
Brown the meat, onion and garlic and then place this and all the other ingredients into a crock pot and cook on slow until the meat is tender.
Prepare kumara, cutting into bite size pieces. Cook, drain and then mash with ¼ cup of the grated cheese, salt and pepper. Line 4-6 individual ramekin or pie dishes with pastry, place the meat filling inside and then top with the mashed kumara and extra grated cheese. Cook at 190C for 20-30 mins or until the pastry and the kumara are golden. Serve with salad or seasonal vegetable.
Asparagus is great at this time of year!