Chickpea, Beetroot and Nut Salad
- ¾ c dried chickpeas soaked and cooked until tender with ½ tsp turmeric or you can replace with two cans of well rinsed chick peas
- 1 medium beetroot cut into match sticks, rinsed and set aside to dry off
- 1 large carrot cut into match sticks
- 4 spring onions
- 2 sticks celery, diced
- 1 thumb size piece of fresh ginger
- ½ cup parsley and coriander leaves coarsely chopped
Toss in a large bowl and set aside while you prepare the nut mix and the dressing.
- 2 c of a mixture of peanuts, cashews, sunflower seeds, pumpkin and sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp each of salt, cumin and coriander powder
- ¼ tsp chilli powder
- 25 g butter
Bake the nuts and seeds in the oven for 5 minutes at 180C, then sprinkle with the sugar and spices. Add the butter and bake for another 10 minutes stirring often. Set aside to cool.
For the dressing
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp brown sugar
- ½ c olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Mix all the ingredients together. Yum!
Crispy Cheesy Ham Bowls
- 6 bread rolls
- Cooking spray or oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ¾ c grated tasty cheese
- 1 ½ c diced ham
- ½ tsp whole grain mustard
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp Worchester sauce
- Salt and pepper
Chopped parsley, chives and spring onion to garnish.
Preheat the oven to 200 C. Slice the tops off the rolls and remove any loose bread from the inside, taking care to leave the outer shell intact. Spray or brush the insides lightly with oil and place them on a tray in the preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes until lightly toasted.
While the rolls are baking, combine all the ingredients except for the garnish and mix together with a fork.
Remove the rolls from the oven and fill them with the egg and ham mixture. Bake for 20-25 mins or until the filling is puffed and set. Sprinkle with the garnish and serve with a crispy salad.